Mona Lisa
Pronouns
N/A
Alias
Admin Team
Awards: None

Announcement #3
Planning for the Future
Hey, guys! Some things have been going on behind the scenes on the site and we figured we'd bring you all up to speed. A couple of members have decided to part ways with WYPF, which means we're down to just the 5 of us! Since there are so few of us, we wanted to open up a discussion on the future of the site and just sort of feel out what everyone's feelings are at this time. Now is the time to jump in and share your opinion with us. So here are the things we're wondering...

With the 5 of us, we have the potential to work out and write some awesome plots. Obviously, most of the time, RP sites like to reach out and recruit more members so that there can be more activity and more plotting. Is this something we still want to do? Or do we want to play with the things we have now and sort of see how things go with our own plots?

Do we want to bother with things like the points system, the awards system, activity checks, character caps, and OTMs? If we decide to continue recruiting members, we will keep all of these in place. Also, if we decide to keep it to just the members we have now, do we want to keep a specific admin team or do we want to make all current members admins and make decisions on events and major plot points as a team?

Let us know what you're thinking! We're open to ideas and suggestions here. We want to make sure WYPF is a place that all of us can enjoy and find our escape from real life in.

PMEmail
^
*DANNI
 Posted: Feb 3 2017, 01:07 PM
*DANNI
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Admin
Blood Status
Half-Blood
House/Occupation
Admin
Government Alignment
Neutral
Marital Status
dating
Play By
Myself ^_^
Pronouns
N/A
Alias
Danni

Alright, I know I've shared a lot of my opinions with a lot of you but I just want to reiterate them here:

I would personally rather close the site to new members and just keep the ones we have. If we want to invite friends to join that's one thing, but I really don't want the stress of new members and feeling like we have to bend over backwards for them. It's such bullshit. The five of us all get along and write well and have fun together, so I'm quite happy with just us. It also saves us from having to do the annoying adverts.

That being said, I created the points system and awards system as a way to attract membership. I am on board with either keeping them or abolishing them completely, but I do not want to shut them down and bring them back again at any point. I think it would be a hassle.

I also like the idea of making everybody staff if we keep it to the five of us. Then we could make use of the awards system in a different way and add silly awards for each other, etc.

I'll stop here and wait to see how other people feel <3
PMEmail
^
Beau Alistair Fulbright
 Posted: Feb 3 2017, 07:30 PM
Beau Alistair Fulbright
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Citizens
Blood Status
Pure-Blood
House/Occupation
Department of International Magical Cooperation
Government Alignment
Neutral
Marital Status
single
Play By
Dean Geyer
Pronouns
He, Him
Alias
Steve Rayger

Okay, I will throw my two cents in!

I mean, as a site we don't have to pro-actively seek new members, but that wouldn't eliminate the stragglers that would stumble upon the site and desire to join. However, with that being said, if we go that way, we won't have to worry about appealing to numerous people who may or may not join anyway.

My personal belief is that sites don't really thrive on the amount of members you have, but having dedicated members, even if it's a handful that keeps the site revolving long-term. Most of the long term sites I've been on (one year or longer) have usually been driven by active staff and a few dedicated members. New members come and go, the good ones often stay regardless and it's never over trivial points like the plot...usually the compatibility of the community.

Honestly, having some sort of organized goal or 'ideal' for where you want most development to head toward. An overall plot is always good to keep people on the same page. It can cater to both new and active members. So.......unless there's something ideal you guys wanna do then I'd set the rolling stones towards it now and other people can still fill in the blanks.

A points system is usually good to regulate and enforce activity, BUTTTTT if you decide to roll with not eagerly corralling in new members, there may not be a point anymore. Personally, I'm my opinion. I've found it annoying to claim points for EVERY post I've ever done...which I don't mind the work, but idk if you guys love 10+ threads for a pat on the back when I kinda just like posting and NORMALLY write like that >.> personallyIthinkwe'reallqualitywriters. I've never really cared for OTMS, the only plus really was points, but it'd be a moot point if there were no points. Points are usually a good system for new members; so if that's not the goal...moot point.

Last, but not least, everyone being staff. Not sure what this entails really. I don't think you need everyone to be staff in order to voice a good opinion. if you want a group effort, maybe just every month have an open discussion via thread? I feel like ....it'd be TOTAL ANARCHY if there wasn't a staffer in charge, but..then again we're a pretty mellow crew.

It's a little ambiguous on how you want to go about recruitment. Does that mean we're just gonna stop advertising? Are we going to unlist our site on resource sites? Are we going to make it an entirely private site?

Honestly, I don't care either way. I'm here to write and I enjoy writing with the people I've made plots/threads. I've felt more than welcome by the staff and ..well Flinte lol However, if I can speak off the record...it was very off-putting that being like what? Two-weeks a VERY active member, not really causing issues and people having the nerve to complain about me....I'm not a fan of exclusive communities, that are more of a clique, but I'm not a fan of people picking on each other, causing drama or complaining either.
PM
^
*JKINZ
 Posted: Feb 3 2017, 10:50 PM
*JKINZ
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Admin
Blood Status
Unknown
House/Occupation
Professional Stalker
Government Alignment
Rebel Alliance
Marital Status
single
Play By
Moi
Pronouns
She/Her
Alias
Jkinz

Okay so bottom line is, I love roleplay. Writing is my form of escape and you lovely people have restored my faith in roleplayers. We aren’t perfect, but we’re family, and I’ve grown attached to all of you (in case you couldn’t tell). No matter what decision is made, ya’ll stuck with me.

Now in terms of all that other gobblygook. I guess for starters it’s the question as to if we should keep to the five of us. I’m leaning towards what Steve said with this one. Let’s stop actively looking for members but keep it open. If someone stumbles upon us, we shouldn’t scare them away. Plus the general traffic of other people’s ads can’t hurt. However if nobody finds us and we end up staying just the five of us that’s grand as well.

Next, as far as points and character caps:
user posted image
user posted image

Honestly I feel like the points and everything… they stifled creativity a bit. I think we can trust each other to roleplay for roleplay and to keep the spirit of the original series alive and true without needing such things to restrict us.

That leaves OTM’s. I think we should still have those, but different. Instead of having categories, every member should get an award, decided upon by the rest of us. This award could be random and silly or deep and meaningful or what have you, but unique to the person and represented with a badgey thing to add to a character or the member’s account itself (depending on what it’s for). I would be more than willing to make/post/administer those. I think it would be fun.

This all being said, I do have a few concerns and ideas as to how to address them. The first is the idea that we do need some sort of rules. I think we could create sort of tribe rules, a list of things we expect from each other that we can vote on and exchange for the current rules.

Examples for things I think we need rules for: keeping up with the main plot. I can see myself easily getting lost in AU with it just being the five of us. We should have some sort of rule making sure we all have to post for the real plot before we reply too much in AU. Also something to keep posts evenly distributed among us. Like, I shouldn’t always be posting for Flinte and ignoring you all, so if we have a rule towards keeping the post flow that might be good. Finally, maybe some way to vote if things get out of hand. Like, major events that affect every character or the whole world or shifts the plot too much. These are just jumping off points, of course, and the rules need not be strict. Again, they’re more like guidelines, anyway.

Oh, and all-character monthly events. Love those. Still want those.
PMEmail
^
*BOBBIE
 Posted: Feb 4 2017, 11:21 AM
*BOBBIE
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Admin
Blood Status
Pure-Blood
House/Occupation
coffee addict
Government Alignment
Neutral
Marital Status
single
Play By
me
Pronouns
N/A
Alias
Bobbie

Hey peeps! Excuse both the shortness and any typos here since I'm tossing up ideas between chores and from my phone.

I totally agree with the whole not actively recruiting thing. But I think we should still be open to anyone who stumbles in. Honestly, that doesn't happen all that often anyway. I'm also on board with this tribe decision making thing. But I'm with jkinz on the guidelines. I think that we're a small enough crew that we don't need a huge string of rules that are more or less common sense. But I do think it would be good to have a clear idea of what we expect from each other. Also, I think having either regular check ins or a place we can drop in and post when we feel like something needs to be discussed is kind of essential to keeping things running smoothly.

Oh, and fuck character caps.
PM
^
*DANNI
 Posted: Feb 4 2017, 01:28 PM
*DANNI
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Admin
Blood Status
Half-Blood
House/Occupation
Admin
Government Alignment
Neutral
Marital Status
dating
Play By
Myself ^_^
Pronouns
N/A
Alias
Danni

Alright, so far this sounds like what we're mostly agreed on (unless Flinte vehemently opposes any point):
  • Not actively recruiting members, but not denying the ones who stumble across WYPF
  • Drop the Points System
  • Drop the character cap

Let's be real - the character cap was really put in place to prevent certain former staff members from creating a million characters and neglecting their previous ones. And yeah, since the point system was put in place to attract new members and keep problematic ones in line, I don't really see a use for it in the new regime.

As for putting everybody on staff, I just mean granting everyone access to the MCP and ACP. I know Jkinz has said that there's stuff Flinte wants to reorganize, and Steve knows way more about the ACP than I think anybody else, so like, why not just invite them in? I'll stay on as "head admin" if we want one, but really think we'll work better operating as a team. With this in mind, I think instead of a monthly activity check, we have a monthly tribe/team/whatever check in. Any issues that came up, any ideas we wanna discuss, etc...

I love love love the idea of coming up with OTMs for each other. Cute, sweet and more personal. Like anything else I wonder how it would work - would we rotate who has to come up with ideas? Agree on them in a thread somewhere?

I do want to continue doing monthly events, or perhaps bi-monthly events? Like every other month we have an event and in the off months, do something new towards the main plot/impeding war? Perhaps we should limit the number of AU threads too? I mean I'm stopping at 2 but would feel terrible making that everyone's limit because then I'm monopolizing Steve's xD
PMEmail
^
Beau Alistair Fulbright
 Posted: Feb 4 2017, 02:18 PM
Beau Alistair Fulbright
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Citizens
Blood Status
Pure-Blood
House/Occupation
Department of International Magical Cooperation
Government Alignment
Neutral
Marital Status
single
Play By
Dean Geyer
Pronouns
He, Him
Alias
Steve Rayger

I'd honestly have to disagree with Jkinz and Danni. I don't know if like....AU is something that's problematic? My only involvement with AU rn is more of a personal reward for Danni outside of rping. However, if it wasn't for that I...rarely have threads in AU. I often thrive on plots in long-term swings, working towards something fun. Besides we're in a MAGICAL world where ANYTHING can pretty much fucking happen lol, what's the point of AU when you have that sort of excitement at your fingertips?

So for example, if we have a radical idea for AU, maybe we should present it first and see if it can be made suitable for like an event or something. Idk about you, but some of the things that have been discussed with me about future plots are SO epic, I don't really feel the need to shoot AU's out my ass for entertainment. Group events should be fun, but it would be intuitive to use those events to somehow work closer towards this war everyone is talking about <3

I do think that there should be a monthly check in just to be like 'Hey I'm still here', if we really want to do the whole post with your active threads bs, then we can, but for the most part I think we're critical of ourselves and capable of determining how much we can handle. I don't object to allowing the whatever straggler finds our site to be welcome. plus..with this system and ONE or TWO new people, shouldn't be too much of a pain in the arse. Most rules are common sense and courtesy. I highly doubt we'll break them, especially since I haven't even read them and I've been fine for like a month >.>

As for the otms, like ....If we wanna do something about it, then I guess we can. I'm not 100% pro to otms, especially since we kinda know how awesome we are. OTMS are just kind of a way to show the site that staff and community isn't ignoring each other and then p much have everyone go on a popularity vote. I can see maybe just like monthly spotlights or rotating images for the members or something, but let's be real. I'd rather be rping with you lovely people then trying to wrap my brain around a yearbook claim for a charrie.

As for the mod and admin rights, I can see the benefit, especially if Flinte wants to re-organize and I'm good with coding/managing the ACP. There's really no major downsides to it. *shrugs*
PM
^
*BOBBIE
 Posted: Feb 4 2017, 02:43 PM
*BOBBIE
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Admin
Blood Status
Pure-Blood
House/Occupation
coffee addict
Government Alignment
Neutral
Marital Status
single
Play By
me
Pronouns
N/A
Alias
Bobbie

No one HAS to do anything with AU. I think the general concern there would be like if we were neglecting regular plot related threads in favor of AU things. Which could easily be something we address as a group in a thread like this one.

I also support the check in discussion things in place of an activity check. Then we can work out what we might want for group event type things at the same time. I really don't see a need for providing evidence of activity. We're not slackers.

I legit don't care one way or the other about OTMs but I think individual awards would be adorable. No one has been required to participate in the OTM nominations or voting in the past so I don't see it really being necessary to jump in on this if you're not interested, Steve. *shrugs*

As far as monthly/bimonthly events go, I do still want to have these especially for the students. The adults can be fully roped into things related to the main plot but the kids are mostly on the sidelines where that stuff is concerned. Plus they're kids. They need a chance to get together and do stupid shit sometimes.

Oh, and I'm totally on board with letting everyone we have now have access to the ACP. BUT. How do we want to handle this with the few randoms that may trickle in?
PM
^
*JKINZ
 Posted: Feb 4 2017, 04:14 PM
*JKINZ
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Admin
Blood Status
Unknown
House/Occupation
Professional Stalker
Government Alignment
Rebel Alliance
Marital Status
single
Play By
Moi
Pronouns
She/Her
Alias
Jkinz

A'aight so agreed on those three things (I will call flinte when I get out of work, he might have suggestions but honestly he will be thrilled to bits about those three). &what Bobbie said about the AU and such.

&Yeah, group discussions like this. Work out group threads (though we're still doing the mardi gra thing right because I put too much brain power into that and individual character planning)(for those who don't know what that is I will explain later) &account for activity.

for the OTM's if you don't care you're still getting an award because I wanna give people awards and it's not something to ever be worried or stressed about it's just for fun. I think it should work kind of like this, and we just talk about suggestions for what each person should get. If you want I can just be in charge of that. Like you pm/gchat your suggestions to me (name of award, what it's for, ideas for what it would look like) and then I can shoot other people back with the ideas to vote on. Very casual, nothing too overly regulated, I'll just post reminders for idea. So like for example, Steve, Ima pick on you because you're against us being adorable for some reason. Say Danni wants to give you the "Beautiful trash" award. She'd pm me with the idea, why (because you say your posts are trash and they're not) and what ideas she has for what it would look like (so, let's say a sparkly trash can). &then I'd collect the ideas from Bobbie, Flinte, what have you and we'd have a little gchat about it to pick the best idea. Then you'd get a sparkly trash can sticker under one of your accounts. Because why the heck would you not want a sparkly trash can that says we love you? Not that you *need* one, but shaddup you're getting praised if you like it or not. (No seriously what do you all think of that system?)

&can we just tell the random noobs we five are admin? Danni at the head, Bobbie and me sort of like co-vice-presidents, Steve & Flinte like maintenance (that way they don't do things like go to my brother with difficult questions when all he knows how to do is like, delete an accidental post or something)? Or Steve can be higher or whatever. (Seriously. No hard questions for Flinte. All I'm saying xD)
PMEmail
^
*JKINZ
 Posted: Feb 4 2017, 08:48 PM
*JKINZ
is currently Offline

application
plot page
want ad

YEARS

Admin
Blood Status
Unknown
House/Occupation
Professional Stalker
Government Alignment
Rebel Alliance
Marital Status
single
Play By
Moi
Pronouns
She/Her
Alias
Jkinz

Ok so Flinte is here before me and after being momentarily overwhelmed is very excited about nixing the points system and character cap, because that will make it easier for him to post since he won't be worrying about all that. He is even more excited about getting to organize the site and will get back to ya'll on that asap. If you have requests, now would be the time to voice them xD or... just edit his changes after.

He's on board with all that has been suggested so far as well. He would say such himself but did not bring his lap top over and I have possessive, overprotective tendencies with mine. SO basically we're all agreed.

Oh, and he seconds the thing about not giving him too much power lol xD
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

t
o
g
g
l
e

c
b